As I sit here it is -5 (feeling like -10 and going to drop down to -13 later). So that calls for only one thing. A big bowl of something steaming and filling and nourishing for the soul.
Ive wanted to make a soup with lentils for ages, mainly because I have a tried and tested Chicken and Red Lentil Curry with Toasted Cashew Nuts that I absolutely love! So, after a quick search on Pinterest, this recipe for Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup caught my eye.
Its a super thick soup, almost a puree, hence really filling. Plus:
- Theres 485% of your daily recommended dietary allowance of vitamin A. Essential for keeping all your vital organs in working order!
- There are only 309 calories per serving, or 15% of calorie intake on a 2000 calorie per day diet.
- The fat content is just 2g, only 3% of your daily recommended dietary allowance.
With it being so low in calories and fat its good for those currently on a weight loss plan (like me again!). Although I may have negated all the goodness with the drop of cream and fresh slices of bread!
Let me know if you have any other lentil soups for me to try and I hope you like this one!
- 1tbspolive oil
- 1onion diced
- 1kgsweet potatoespeeled and diced
- 1.5Lvegetable stock
- 210gred split lentils
- 1tspground turmeric
- 1/2tspmild chilli powder
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1tbspcoriander chopped
- Gently heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the diced onion to soften it, stirring occasionally for about 4 5 minutes. Then add the diced potatoes and continue to stir for a further 3 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, lentils, ground turmeric and mild chilli powder.
- Stir well, bring to the boil and turn down to simmer gently for 20 25 minutes until all the mixture is completely softened. Remove from the heat.
- When the soup has cooled a little, blitz it in a blender / food processor and return to the pan, season to taste, garnish with the chopped coriander and then serve.
- Serve with fresh bread.