Never has such a flavorful, hearty, and warming meal come together so quickly or using so many pantry staples. We love it with a dollop of yogurt on top, but feel free to omit or use a non-dairy yogurt to keep it vegan.
adapted from Bon Apptit.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1 3-inch piece ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk (full-fat or low-fat are both fine)
- 1 cup split red lentils
- cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 10 ounces spinach or Tuscan kale, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- optional, for serving: Plain whole-milk or non-dairy yogurt, fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large Dutch oven over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring often, just until translucent, 68 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until garlic is starting to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add5 tsp. curry powderand tsp. cayenneand cook, stirring constantly, until spices are aromatic and starting to stick to bottom of pot, about 1 minute.
- Add 13.5 oz. coconut milk and stir to loosen spices, then stir in 1 cup lentils, cup shredded coconut, 2 tsp. salt, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low to keep soup at a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are broken down and soup is thickened, 2530 minutes.
- Add spinach and 15 oz. tomatoes to pot and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt. Simmer just to let flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Taste and season again with more salt. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with yogurt and cilantro, if desired.
makes 8 cups.