Curry Chicken served on Jasmine Rice
Naan Bread with Garlic and Cilantro
Vegetarian Samosa made with Potatoes and Garbanzo Beans
Recipe for Curry Chicken
Chicken breast, cut into medium sized pieces
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can of coconut milk
2 Tbsp Marsala cooking wine
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 Tbsp of Tandoori Masala seasoning
4 strips of golden curry
1 can garbanzo beans
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into medium sized pieces
1-2 carrots, cut into medium sized pieces
½ tsp cayenne pepper, or more if you like spicy food
1. In a medium-size pot, on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, onion and garlic. Sauté until brown.
2. Add the chicken and cook 6-7 minutes. Lower the heat. Add the seasonings and Marsala wine. Stir well! Add the Golden curry strips and melt them. Stir in the Coconut milk. Add the potatoes, garbanzo beans and carrots. Stir well. If you don’t like a thick sauce add a little warm water.
3. Cook on Low heat covered for 30 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are soft. Make sure to stir often so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Best served on Jasmine rice.
Recipe for Naan bread with Garlic and Cilantro
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp auger
1/2 tsp dry yeast
3 tbs olive oil
1 1-2 tsp salt
1/3 cup warm water (Add more if needed)
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, finally chopped
1. In a mixing bowl add the dry yeast and sugar in warm water. Let it sit for a little bit until you see small bubbles on the top.
2. Add the Olive oil and flour mix; then add the salt, cilantro and garlic. Mix it all together and let it sit for 30 minutes covered with a cloth.
3. Using your hands or a rolling pin to make flat pitas.
4. On a hot skillet or griddle placed on medium heat, (add a little olive oil if you want to but it is not necessary) place the naan and let it cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. It should puff up a little and get some air bubbles. Enjoy!
Recipe for Vegetarian Samosa
To be completely honest I made this recipe last week using only white flour. I made it again today adding the chickpea flour and I liked it more!! However, if you want to make it without the chickpea flour, just delete it and double the white flour in the recipe below.
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup white all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
Vegetarian filling ingredients:
1 potato, peeled and diced
1/2 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 Tbsp Tandoori masala seasoning
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, finally chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper t
You can add peas as well. I didn’t.
1. In a bowl, mix the two types of flour and salt. Add the oil and knead. Gradually add the water until completely absorbed and dough is obtained. The final texture should be flexible and slightly hard. Form the dough into a ball, brush with oil, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour.
2. Boil the potatoes with a little salt until softened. Drain.
3. In a frying pan melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until golden brown.
4. With a fork crush the potatoes and the garbanzo beans together. Add the seasoning and sautéed onion and garlic. Mix all together very well.
5. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into 16 balls. Roll each dough ball on a floured work surface to a thin leaf 2 mm thick, about 14 cm in diameter. Cut each circle in half and spread a little water on the straight portion of each half circle.
6. Fold each half circle to form a small cone securing it with more water. Place a tablespoon of the stuffing inside the cone, slightly moisten the inner rim with your finger and pinch the remaining dough to close a quasi-triangle. Place the samosas on a lightly floured surface.
7. Fry the samosas in a deep oil until brown. Enjoy!